Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cooking Kick

I'm kind of on a cooking kick. "Kind of" being the key phrase, as it is more like I'm on a "looking through cookbooks and marking the recipes I want to try" kick. Tonight, however, I am taking the hot pink sticky note off one recipe I've had my eye on and actually doing it (for realz). I found it in Real Simple's Easy, Delicious Meals cookbook that I got in my stocking this year (thanks Santa!).

Tonight I'll be making Tortellini With Eggplant and Peppers. I haven't had tortellini in sooo long, so when I stumbled across this, I knew I had to bring it back into my life (kinda like Creamed Chipped Beef?) because cheese tortellini is just so yummy. It also only takes 35 minutes, which is perfect, because I get antsy and cranky when I'm hungry.

Real Simple is my favorite magazine. Ehh, I take that back. It is my favorite non-celeb magazine - I am a sucker for Us Weekly and People.


I love to read their "New Uses for Old Things" - I get so inspired! Olive oil - we're used to making salad dressings and cooking with it, right? But wait! Real Simple says you should also use olive oil to:

- Shave. Olive oil can provide a closer shave when used in place of shaving cream.

- Shine stainless steel. Many cleaning standbys, such as ammonia, can dull and even corrode chrome and stainless steel. Olive oil, however, is a safe and effective shining agent.

- Remove eye makeup. Dab a little under the eyes and rinse off with a washcloth.

- Prevent wax from sticking to a candle holder. Rub a thin coat on the base of the holder before inserting a candle. Dripped wax should peel away easily.

- Care for your pet. Add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon to your cat’s food to help prevent hair balls.

- Moisturize cuticles. Apply a small amount of olive oil to the nail beds.

- Treat dry skin. Rub a thin layer over the skin after a shower or a waxing.

- Unstick a zipper. Using a Q-tip, apply a drop to lubricate the teeth. (Avoid touching the fabric.) The zipper should move up and down freely.

- Dust wooden furniture. Apply a bit of oil to a cloth and wipe.

- Silence squeaky doors. Lubricate hinges by applying a small dab to a cloth, then wiping the top of the hinges so that the oil runs down the sides.

Wow, I wish I had a subscription to Real Simple. . .

peaceloveandgchat.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment