Friday, March 4, 2011

Joe's Special


I subjected P to an extremely random dinner last night. I've had my eye on Cooking Light's Joe's Special for quite some time now, and decided that last night was THE night to make it.

I have to admit, I didn't stay true to the Cooking Light version of this, as I used Whole Foods' spicy Italian sausage instead of turkey sausage (oops!), but I think that extra kick (and fat. . .ha) was worth it. I ALSO have to admit (and this is really embarrassing) that I did not know what swiss chard was when I read the recipe. I literally had to google image swiss chard before I went to the grocery store because I thought it was some sort of cheese. So glad I saw the images of the leafy green. . .I would have been wandering around the cheese section asking people where the swiss chard was. . .bahh embarrassing!

FYI. This is what swiss chard looks like:

Joe's Special.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 3 large eggs
  • 4 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 6 cups chopped Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
  • 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, toasted

Preparation

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned; stir to crumble. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in chard; cover and cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Stir in egg mixture; cook 3 minutes or until eggs are set, stirring frequently. Serve with toast.

Sidenote: P and I ate it with a side of naan instead of sourdough.

Though this was a completely random din, P and I really liked it! It was definitely lighter than I was expecting, which was nice. You'd think sausage and eggs would make a pretty heavy dish, but when the egg mixture is added to the sausage and veggies, there isn't as much there as it looks. I might try to make some different versions of this for breakfast sometime. . .

peaceloveandjoe.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment